Title: Manager, Technical Services
Reports to: Manager, Operations
- Responsible for directing the supervision, monitoring and on-going maintenance of the electrical and mechanical components, Building Automation System, Fire Alarm system as well as physical aspects of The Well. Provides direction, oversees expense control and ensures efficient and sustainable operating practices for the Electrical and Building Operations teams.
Accountabilities, Tasks, Responsibilities:
- Develops departmental budgets and procedures for Plant Technical Services (Maintenance, and Capital/Engineering) and yearly operating plans. Manages departmental operations to achieve financial objectives. Schedules expenditures, analyses variances and initiates corrective actions.
- Ensures equipment and system reliability and that manufacturing capability is in-place and aligned to support overall business needs and strategies to include cost, product quality, environmental and plant safety requirements.
- Encourages cultural change to promote increased ownership and acceptance of decision-making and responsibility within the Plant Technical
- Provides resolution to customer complaints, incidents investigations and ensures appropriate corrective and preventative actions are defined and effectively implemented.
- Manages strategic and tactical aspects of specification and procurement of engineered equipment and systems associated with capital and maintenance functions.
- Manages the Engineering Group and works with the Operations Managers and others as appropriate to define and develop capital expenditure plans. Ensures major and minor capital expenditures meet cost targets and deliver expected business results.
- Drives cost awareness and cost improvements in engineering services, maintenance services, and equipment maintenance and procurement, supplies and labor to maximize operational profitability.
- Ensures company safety rules are followed both by self and by all subordinates to prevent the occurrence of any recordable or lost time accidents or incidents.
- Provides input into company objectives/long range plans/strategy as appropriate.
- Creates/maintains an environment conducive to good employee/management relations; recognizes the rights/position of other employees; assumes responsibility for addressing problems affecting employee/management relations with immediate supervisor.
- Assumes responsibility for personal productivity and quality of work; recognizes/communicates problems and suggests solutions to supervisor.
- Compiles data; prepares/submits accurate/timely reports, where appropriate; maintains records and/or carries out directions; follows through and completes assignments in acceptable time frames; applies technical and procedural know how to get the job done in an acceptable manner; adjusts behavior for the effective use of time and resources.
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional organizations as applicable.
- Trains others in areas of proficiency or expertise.
- Understands and follows all organizational policies, procedures and rules, ensuring that all laws are obeyed and equal employment, safety and environmental protection are practiced.
- Consistently demonstrates prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
- Communicates development and career goals to immediate supervisor and takes ownership of personal development plan.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Supervisory Responsibilities & Functions:
- Ensure your own safety and that of others, apply shared vigilance (both within your area of responsibility and outside it), share prevention-related messages with others and set a good example in all circumstances.
- Familiarize yourself with the applicable safety procedures and rules, apply them and enforce them.
- Contribute to improving safety in infrastructure, behaviors and procedures.
- Assures the technical and/or professional expertise of employees to minimize unscheduled interruptions due to maintenance and equipment operability issues; provides career development and access to training programs; assures employee participation in all required safety and training programs; encourages individual career development.
- Interviews, selects, hires, promotes, demotes, transfers, and recommends termination of employment to management; reviews the performance of staff to encourage growth and development; provides ongoing feedback with frequent contacts with employees.
- Performs timely employee reviews in accordance with policies/procedures; applies appraisal process accurately and impartially; corrects performance deviations.
- Develops and/or assists in the development of annual work plans (capital, maintenance) programs, staffing requirements, equipment requirements, and related budgets; assists in the development of objectives/long-range plans; assures all goals are met.
- Advises/assists the immediate supervisor and appropriate staff in carrying out the functions/responsibilities within the department; delegates authority to appropriate line and staff employees with full recognition that delegation of authority does not relieve overall responsibility.
- Maintains staff by participating in the recruitment and selection process; orienting and training new employees.
- Maintains staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring and appraising job results.
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of the building operations including but not limited to HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, life safety, etc., and ensure all equipment and systems are operated in a safe and efficient manner and are in compliance with all applicable government codes & regulations;
- Post-Secondary Education with a specialization project management in Building Operations;
- Certificate of Building Environmental Systems – Operator Class One & Two or equivalent;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in physical plant operations, HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, Fire Alarm, and other related equipment and systems;
- Minimum 5 Years of people managing experience;
- Ability to read & interpret plans and/or drawings;
- Excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills;
- Strong administrative skills and ability to lead, coach and manage employees;
- Good judgment, decision-making and problem solving skills;
- Develop and sustain cooperative working relationships with operation staff, property manager, contractors, tenants and the public; open to partner with clients to meet client needs; self-motivated, professional and flexible; coachable, empower and coach/counsel staff in the achievement of performance goals;
- An assertive self-starter with the ability to work independently under minimal supervision;
- Competent in time management and must be able to allocate work load according to priorities, work well under pressure and manage tight deadlines; can manage multiple demands, adapt to new ideas and constant changes; able to cope with changing client needs and deliver successful results within agreed upon time frames;
- Strong Knowledge of Occupational and Safety Act, Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) and First Aid and CPR training;
- Strong Knowledge of Provincial Building Code & Regulations, Canadian Electrical Code, Provincial Fire Code and Electrical Safety Authority;
- Strong computer skills including MS Office (word/excel), Knowledge of Angus Anywhere and Building Automation Systems;
- Experience in managing maintenance/construction projects
We want to thank all applicants for considering this position. We will only contact applicants who qualify for the position.
Riocan is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We ask that applicants make their needs known in advance.