Reporting to the SVP of Leasing, this position is responsible for the economic and legal aspects of creating tenancies including the preparation & negotiation of retail leasing contracts. The AVP, Leasing is an enclosed malls specialist and must ensure that vacancies in the portfolio are dealt with in a timely fashion in order to maintain as low of a vacancy rate as possible. Responsibilities
- Create annual budget revenue projections and manage it throughout the year.
- Lead the strategic positioning of assets with a focus on revenue growth.
- Oversee the deal process from offer to opening and assist team with any roadblocks that may arise.
- Resolve issues with existing tenants or prior to new tenant openings including facilitating construction, operations and asset management issues.
- Analyze prospective business opportunities and competing properties to determine the best strategy to improve economic performance.
- Visit properties in the portfolio to ensure a strong understanding of various markets and locations.
- Maintain superior tenant relationships and meet for regular portfolio reviews.
- Attend conventions and external industry events (ie; ICSC)
- Forge strong working relationships with internal and external disciplines such as Real Estate brokers and department heads.
- Lease & negotiate vacant space and renewals within the various properties including marketing and preparation of offers.
- Oversee the team’s records of transactions.
- Other duties / projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- University Degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of 10 years previous work experience in an enclosed mall retail setting
- Experience managing and leading a team of Lease Professionals
- Advanced negotiating skills accompanied by strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization
- Self-directed with the capacity for evaluating, managing and executing multiple, complex and competing initiatives in a demanding environment.
- Capable of setting performance standards, exhibiting sound judgement and managing a team toward exceeding objectives
- Strong analytical skills and business acumen with an aptitude for quantitative evaluation of business performance.
- SME in lease interpretation and terminology
- Experience with retail redevelopment is an asset
RioCan is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We ask that Applicants make their needs known in advance.