Customer Service Policy for the Provision of Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
- In order to assist individuals with physical or developmental disabilities, RioCan has developed policies, practices and procedures to ensure they can access the goods or services we offer.
We are committed to ensuring that the requirements set out in Government legislation and the applicable Standards are rigorously observed.
We recognize the importance of making goods and services accessible to people with disabilities and are committed to providing excellent customer service and a respectful, welcoming and inclusive environment to all individuals who use our goods and services.
“Our” and “We” means “RioCan”
RioCan is committed to eliminating obstacles faced by customers who have disabilities. We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the Policy and related practices and procedures are consistent with the following principles as prescribed in the Customer Service Standard:
- RioCan will provide goods and services in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities;
- RioCan will provide integrated services to people with disabilities wherever possible and we will provide alternative measures to provide goods and services to people with disabilities where integrations is not possible; and
- RioCan will provide equal opportunity to people with disabilities to obtain, use or benefit from our goods or services.
This policy applies to all RioCan employees and any third party that provides goods and services on behalf of RioCan and who may interact with the public or third parties located in the Province of Ontario.
Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities Communication
When communicating with a person with a disability, we will take into account the particular individual’s needs and circumstances. Our staff, who communicate with customers or third parties have been trained on how to interact with people with various types of disabilities in order to ensure we provide responsive and effective communication.
RioCan will permit the use of personal assistive devices by people with disabilities to obtain, use or benefit from our goods and services.
Our staff is trained on the use of various types of assistive devices made available by RioCan at our sites for people with disabilities accessing our goods and services, so as to better provide services to these individuals.
In order to provide effective service to people with disabilities, our staff is trained to speak to customers slowly in clear and plain language over the telephone. If the disability provides a barrier to telephone communications, we will be available to communicate through e-mail.
In order to best serve people with disabilities, we provide our invoices in the following formats upon request, hard copy, and large print or by e-mail. Questions regarding invoices will be answered in person, by telephone or by e-mail.
Use of Service Animals and Support Persons
A person with a disability who uses the assistance of a service animal is permitted to access all areas of our premises open to the public or third parties with the service animal unless prohibited by law. In such a case, we will strive to ensure alternative means for people with disabilities who require the assistance of a service animal to access our goods and services. If it is not readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons related to his or her disability, we may ask the person to provide a letter from a physician or nurse that confirms that the animal is required for reasons related to their disability.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
If there is a temporary disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities we will provide customers with notice as soon as possible. In the notice of disruption, we will include the following information:
- The reason for the disruption;
- The anticipated duration of disruption, and
- A description of any alternative facilities or services, if available.The notice will be posted on all public entrances to the premises.
Training for Staff
RioCan will provide training to all of its employees, volunteers and other individuals who have contact with the public or third parties on our behalf and all individuals who are involved in the development of our policies, practices and procedures. Training will be provided to each individual as soon as practicable after he or she is assigned the duties which require the need for training.
Training will be received on an on-going basis whenever we make changes to our policies, practices or procedures to ensure that the Policy is properly implemented and followed at all times.
Our training programs consist of the following:
- An overview of the purpose of the Act and the requirements under the Customer Service Standard;
- Training on how to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disabilities;
- Training on how to interact with persons with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a guide dog of other service animal or the assistance of a support person;
- Training on how to use equipment or devices available on RioCan’s premises or otherwise provided by RioCan that may help with the provision of goods or services to a person with a disability;
- Training on what to do if a person with a particular type of disability is having difficulty accessing RioCan’s goods or services; and
- Training on our current policies, practices and procedures relating to the Customer Service Standard.
- RioCan will keep records of the training provided, including the dates on which the training was received and the number of participants.
In order to properly assess the needs of people with disabilities, RioCan has created a feedback process. We welcome comments from individuals on how effectively we are accommodating people with disabilities in the provision of our goods and services.
- Receiving Feedback
Feedback may be provided in person, in writing, by e-mail, on disc or by phone.
- Responding to Complaints
RioCan will address complaints that arise through the feedback process in a timely manner.
Notice of Availability of Documents
The policy and any corresponding practices and procedures will be made available to any person on request.
We post notice of the availability of these documents on all our properties to which the Policy applies and on our website.
Format of Documents
Upon request we will provide a copy of the Policy in a format that takes into account the disability of the person submitting the request.
Modifications to the Policy and Related Documents
Any modifications made to the Policy and any related policies will be for the purpose of improving our ability to provide services to people with disabilities. Any change made to the Policy or related policies will carefully take into account the impact on people with disabilities. Any provision of the Policy or related policies that does not enhance our ability to provide goods and services to people with disabilities will be modified accordingly.
Questions About the Policy
We welcome questions regarding our commitment to providing accessible goods and services to people with disabilities. If you have any questions regarding our policies please contact our Health & Safety Department, who will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.
All inquiries, customer feedback and complaints may be submitted in one of the following ways:
In Person (Verbally):
RioCan Yonge Eglinton Centre Customer Service
2300 Yonge Street
Monday - Friday
9:00am - 5:00pm
Health & Safety Department
RioCan Yonge Eglinton Centre Attn. Health & Safety Department
2300 Yonge Street, Suite 500 P.O. Box 2386